Sunday, November 1, 2020

Kolkata, Where Are the Delivery Girls?

I’ve been trying to write this for quite some time. In 2013, I first left Kolkata and headed towards Delhi for work. There I first saw a delivery girl. She was a delivery girl for a pizza delivery organization. I was taken aback by seeing a pizza delivery girl. I never saw it before. In Kolkata, I’ve seen girls handling counters but not delivering foods.

It is 2020, 7 years have gone by, but I haven’t seen a single delivery girl on the streets of Kolkata. If men can work as delivery boys, why can’t women work as delivery girls? West Bengal is a state which has a woman chief minister. If a lady can run a state, then its girls can work as delivery girls. I am sure that the women in Kolkata certainly believe that they are equal to men. So what stops women of Kolkata from getting the job of delivery girls? It’s the mindset of the people who run the food joints.

It’s time to address the issue to the marketing heads of such a food delivery company. They should hire women as delivery girls in Kolkata. It will not only create more jobs but will also double the income of a household. More women in the workforce mean the male-female ratio will keep in check. Now it’s only men.

If the government can’t hire a lady for the postwoman position, it doesn’t mean private organizations can’t hire women for the delivery girl positions. Few will argue that women are physically weaker than men. But if Kolkata can have a woman bus driver, then I believe that women can become delivery girls.

Amen!


                                                                        (Source: Needpix)

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Matter What

I'm blogging after a year. The last two years were tough. What I started in 2020 September failed to continue in 2021. But this year, I&...