Saturday, November 14, 2020

What Do You See?

Natural calamities are becoming regular affairs for the people of India. We, the unaffected luckier ones, get to see the devastation and loss on our television screen lying on the sofa. Undoubtedly, television journalists risk their lives and show us the loss. Be it flood or cyclone or something else- most of us get to know about the calamities through the cameras of television journalists. I’m sure the politicians also see such news to take stock of the situations. It is OK!

But what keeps me intrigued is the visit of ministers in helicopters to see the devastated areas.  I wonder what they see from such a distance. Army use helicopters to rescue people or distribute food. But what good the ministers bring by hovering over the places in a helicopter? They see the areas via the window of the helicopters. But can they see or understand what had happened?

If they want to see the affected areas, then they should reach the place via road. Some people will argue ministers go with their bodyguards that will hamper the rescue operations. But I would say to them that ministers can go with 1-2 bodyguards to see the loss. They don’t need an entourage to go to the affected places.

I’m sure that the ministers can’t get to know what happened on the ground from helicopters. Maybe they want to send a message to those people that ‘I’m with you.’ But does it matter or even help? I will not buy the agreement that people who have lost everything need an ‘I’m with you’ type of gesture. They need serious attention. If a minister wants to see what happened, then they should be on the ground with the affected people.


                                                           (Source: Pixabay)

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Matter What

I'm blogging after a year. The last two years were tough. What I started in 2020 September failed to continue in 2021. But this year, I&...